The University of New Mexico was created by an act of the Territorial Legislature in 1889. It began full-term instruction in 1892, almost ten years before New Mexico became the 47th state in January, 1912. A local sorority, Alpha Gamma, was organized in 1914. When members expressed an interest in becoming a Kappa chapter, Grand Secretary Estelle Kyle Kemp from Denver, Colorado inspected the group and plans were made for installation.
University of Colorado's Beta Mu Chapter was appointed by National to act as sponsor. Three Beta Mu actives, Katherine Kinsell, Betty McGowan, and Alice Burrows, came from Boulder and joined with Kappa Kappa Gamma's Grand President, Lydia Voris (Mrs. Parke R.) Kolbe, to install seventeen charter members and to initiate thirteen pledges on Saturday, April 6, 1918. Gamma Beta Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma replaced Alpha Gamma on that day and became the second national sorority at UNM. Pi Mu was the first national sorority on this campus.
For a number of years Gamma Beta rented houses or used a rented dorm room for meetings and activities. In 1931, the first chapter house was built at 221 University NE. It housed 26 Kappas and cost about $29,000. The mortgage burning ceremony took place at Founders Day Banquet in 1948.
Gamma Beta found it needed more space. On November 14, 1966, a new chapter house was completed at 1620 Mesa Vista Road, NE at a cost of $325,444. This 19,000 square foot home was built to house 58 members. A mortgage burning ceremony was conducted during Founders Day at the house in 1991.
The Albuquerque Alumnae Association received its charter July 5, 1925.